July 22, 2010

Sulphur mountain, 2451m, 2008,2009,2010

Of any mountain in the Canadian rockies, Sulphur mountain is probably the mountain with the highest number of peoples reaching his peak. Granted of a scenic gondola since 1959, Sulphur is known as the Banff's peak even if it's one of the smallest mountain in the area. Working at the Banff gondola for fourth summer in a row made me realise how amazing Sulphur mountain trully his. Just the view from the gondola is incredible. After all, it's the only 360 degree view of the Bow valley! For most peoples, taking the ride up and down Sulphur his enough. But not for me and some of my co-workers. Sulphur mountain gondola (rename Banff gondola a few years ago) reach a peak of 2281 meters above sea level. However, a hike along the south ridge brings you on a higher peak including Sulphur real summit standing at 2451m, a peak I was eager to reach.

Hiking the ridge his an experience in it's self. It's probably one of the greatest hike/scramble I ever done and one of the easiest ratio scenery/effort. Walking up the ridge for 15 minutes from the upper terminal and already we feel alone in the universe. Once we reach the first peak, the photos opportunities are endless.
I did this hike for the first time at the end of June 2008 with 4 fellows members from the gondola. We were astonish and in completed '' wonder'' with the views we had. We started the hike just before 18 o'clock and the sun was shining. Mount rundle, this mountain of 12 km long, and the huge Sundance range was surrouding us all the way.

We had so much fun we missed the last gondola down at 21h; meaning we had to hike back down the 5,5km from the upper to lower terminal of Sulphur mountain. Never before I was so happy to miss a gondola ride!

Ever since, I try to do the south ridge as many time as I can or at least the first peak. Most of the time Dalton is with us and last week I did this mountain with Justin and Monica. We only reach the first peak.... but it was a really special day. Like the first time I did this hike, I had lot's of fun! Monica and Mott are just really fun to hike with and I'm so glad Monica invite me to join them for a hike on the ridge. Hopefully, I will be able to hike a lot with them until the season come to an end.




  • Time: Sulphur mountain hiking time: average: 75 minutes to 90 minutes one way
  • Time: South ridge hike: allow around 3,5-5 hrs to do a full ridge (or 90 minutes to first peak)
  • Difficulty: South ridge: fairly easy except one difficult part at the end of the first peak
  • Best moment: The best moment to hike this mountain is at the end of june when the trail is almost snowfree but the surrounding peaks still covered of fluffy snow.





No comments:

Post a Comment